Abu Simbel, World Heritage Site of King Ramses II in Egypt

The four colossal statues of Ramesses in front of the main temple are spectacular examples of ancient Egyptian art. Through a complex engineering feat in the 1960s, the building was saved from the rising waters Nile caused by the construction Aswan High Dam (Aswan High Dam).




IPHEDIA.com - Abu Simbel is the site of two temples built by the Egyptian king Ramses II who ruled 1279–1300 BC, which are now located in Aswān muḥāfaẓah, southern Egypt. Once upon a time, the area was on the southern border of ancient Egypt, facing Nubia.

The four colossal statues of Ramesses in front of the main temple are spectacular examples of ancient Egyptian art. Through a complex engineering feat in the 1960s, the building was saved from the rising waters Nile caused by the construction Aswan High Dam (Aswan High Dam).

Carved from sandstone cliffs on the west bank of the Nile, south of Korosko (modern Kuruskū), the temples were unknown to the outside world until they were rediscovered in 1813 by Swiss researcher Johann Ludwig Burckhardt. Then, this historical relic was first explored in 1817 by the early Egyptian expert Giovanni Battista Belzoni.

The figure of Ramses sitting 66 feet (20 meters) high is placed in front of hidden cliffs, two on either side entrance to the main shrine. Carved around their feet are small figures representing the children of Ramesses, his queen, Nefertari, and her mother, Muttuy (Mut-tuy, or Queen Ti).

The graffiti engraved on a southern pair by Greek mercenaries serving Egypt in the 6th century BC has provided important evidence early history Greek alphabet.

The temple itself is dedicated to the sun gods Amon-Re and Re-Horakhte, consisting of three consecutive halls that stretch 185 feet (56 meters) into the cliff, decorated with more statues king's Osiride and with paintings of victorious scenes claimed to be Battle of Kadesh.

On two days year (around 22 February and 22 October), the first morning sunlight penetrates the entire length temple and illuminates the shrine in its innermost place.

Just north main shrine is a smaller shrine, dedicated to Nefertari for the worship of the goddess Hathor and decorated with a 35-foot (10.5 meter) long statue king and queen.

In the mid-20th century, when the construction Aswan High Dam threatened to sink Abu Simbel, UNESCO and the Egyptian government sponsored a project to save the site. An information and fundraising campaign was initiated by UNESCO in 1959.

Between 1963 and 1968, an international workforce and team of engineers and scientists, supported by funds from more than 50 countries, excavated the top cliff and completely dismantled the two temples, reconstructing the building on site. which is more than 200 feet (60 meters) above the previous site.

In all, about 16,000 blocks were moved. In 1979 Abu Simbel, Philae, and other nearby monuments were collectively designated by UNESCO as World Heritage Sites. (as/ip)

Buka Komentar
Tutup Komentar
No comments:
Write comment

Siapapun boleh berkomentar, tetapi dengan cara yang bijaksana dan bertanggung jawab. Komentar sepenuhnya menjadi tanggung jawab individu komentator seperti yang diatur dalam UU ITE (Undang-Undang Informasi dan Transaksi Elektronik).

TOPIK

Back to Top